Re: Is there a default firewall on Debian Etch

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 09:25:46PM -0600, Brendan West wrote:
> I am needing to find out if there is a default firewall on Etch and
> how to control it (change settings, allow ports, programs, ect.).  How
> can I do this?  Thanks for any ideas.

The kernel does the firewalling, and its configuration is done with
shell scripts and IPTABLES.  However, most people use a program that
sets it up for them which is easier to follow.

I suggest you install the shorewall-doc package and read its
documentation.  Then install the shorewall package and use it.

Configuration is straight forward for simple configurations.  Complex
stuff is more complex.

Good luck.

Doug.