USB Sound Cards on Etch: Can't Get One To Work

I'm currently using an iMic USB sound card on a Soekris net5501 system

that can handle USB 2.0, even if it is a slower CPU in comparison.

(Unit specs here: http://soekris.com/net5501.htm)

Before I was using this (the iMic), I was using a Startech USB sound

card (here on Newegg: http://tinyurl.com/5v4n4k). I had errors with

that card which led me to the iMic.

This computer is a general file/printer/nfs/nis/dns server but nothing

that's heavy duty except possibly the printer stuff, but I haven't been

printing while I've been testing. I have a HD radio hooked up to one

USB port and I can control it with an app I wrote for tuning, volume,

and other settings. It has analog stereo output that, on an older and

bigger system, I ran into the sound card through the Line In jack and

used a regular output jack to go to my speakers. (I prefer to do this

instead of splitting and weakening the analog audio from the radio

output.) I also take the input stream and use it with Icecast2 to make

it available on my home audio system. This always worked just fine with

a Soundblaster in a PCI slot.

With the Startech USB sound card the sound from the Line In went to the

speakers with no problem, but whenever I tried to read that sound stream

with darkice or anything else, I kept getting errors that I tracked down

to an indication there wasn't enough bandwidth to send the audio signal

through from the card to the USB port. (I used arecord and finally got

error messages that helped me to track this down.)

Since I could find nothing to show me that I could work around this in

any way, I finally started searching for other USB sound cards and found

a few references to people using an iMic with Debian Etch. It seemed

like they just plugged it in and it worked. No such luck.

Yet I dont' have access to the card. Before running alsaconf, when the

card was hooked up and I wasn't getting error messages from amixer or

alsamixer, here's the stuff from /proc:

[root@ozma:~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [system ]: USB-Audio - iMic USB audio system

Griffin Technology, Inc iMic USB audio system at

usb-0000:00:15.1-1.7, full spe

[root@ozma:~]$ cat /proc/asound/devices

0: [ 0] : control

1: : sequencer

16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback

24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture

33: : timer

It looked like alsaconf just matched it with the first driver it could,

a Yamaha one, but when I deselected that as a choice and ran alsaconf

again, when it was done, there was no card. Here's output from the

first time I ran alsaconf:

[root@ozma:~]$ alsaconf

Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-cs4236 snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-

oss snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss

snd-cs4236-lib snd-mpu401-uart snd-cs4231-lib snd-opl3-lib snd-hwdep

snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-timer (failed:

modules still loaded: snd-opl3-lib snd-hwdep snd-mpu401-uart snd-cs4236-

lib snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq

snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-cs4231-lib snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-

timer).

Building card database...

Probing legacy cards.. This may take a few minutes..

Probing: opl3sa2grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file

or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

: FOUND!!

Running update-modules...

FATAL: Error inserting snd_opl3sa2

(/lib/modules/2.6.18-6-486/kernel/sound/isa/snd-opl3sa2.ko): No such

device

FATAL: Error running install command for snd_opl3sa2

Setting default volumes...

amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

Now ALSA is ready to use.

For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

Have a lot of fun!

After it runs, there's no sound cards in /proc/asound/cards so alsamixer

or anything else won't run. Since it looked like it was just grabbing

the first driver to use, I eliminated the Yamaha drivers (Kept getting

"Yamaha OPL3-SA soundcard not found or device busy" when I ran dmesg.)

Then I ran it again with this output:

[root@ozma:~]$ alsaconf

[root@ozma:~]$ alsaconf

Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-opl3sa2 snd-seq-dummy snd-seq-

oss snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss

snd-cs4231-lib snd-opl3-lib snd-usb-audio snd-usb-lib snd-hwdep snd-pcm

snd-page-alloc snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-timer snd-seq-device

(failed: modules still loaded: snd-opl3-lib snd-cs4231-lib snd-hwdep

snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-timer snd-seq-device).

Building card database...

Probing legacy cards.. This may take a few minutes..

Probing: cs4236grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file

or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

grep: /sys/bus/pnp/devices/??:*/resources: No such file or directory

: FOUND!!

Running update-modules...

FATAL: Error inserting snd_cs4236

(/lib/modules/2.6.18-6-486/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4236.ko): No

such device

FATAL: Error running install command for snd_cs4236

Setting default volumes...

amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

Now ALSA is ready to use.

For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

Have a lot of fun!

--------------------------------------

Still no card listed in /proc/asound/cards.

I can change back to the Startech card and test and report any errors

with that card if that will help.

Okay, a few questions:

1) Does anyone have a Startech or iMic USB sound card working so they

can verify they do work with arecord so it's possible to read the sound

stream?

2) Could the type of system I'm on (the embedded Soekris net5501) be

creating the problems? Even though it does USB 2.0, could there still

be a problem with a 700 Mhz CPU not being able to handle this?

3) Could having other devices on the USB hub cause this problem, even

though I still had the same problems when I disconnected all the other

devices?

4) Any ideas what I need to do to get a USB sound card (preferably one

of these) working?

5) Does anyone have a USB sound card they can recommend that I can count

on to work with Debian Etch?

I guess that about summarizes the problem and the different ways I've

thought of to solve it. I just am not sure how to get either of these

cards behaving.

Thanks for any help!

Hal