Re: unbootable system after fresh 4.0r5 installation

Hello,

Sven Joachim --> debian-user (2008-12-05 17:54:56 +0100):
> On 2008-12-05 17:27 +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:
>
> > I just installed Debian 4.0r5 on a i386 systems (Dell PowerEdge 2950).
> > While the installer seemed to have succeeded without problems, the
> > freshly installed system didn't boot because its root file systems could
> > not be found:
> >
> > 	Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
> > 	[...]
> > 	sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
> >
> > At this point the system hanged for some minutes, until
> >
> > 	ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
> >
> > was output and the BusyBox shell was executed.
> >
> > But indeed there is no /dev/sdb; there's only one (logical) disk
> > present, /dev/sda.
>
> How many physical discs does the system have (removable and
> non-removable)?

The system has three SCSI disks, but since they are connected to a RAID
controller to form a RAID 5 the OS should see just a single disk.

BTW, I see the same problem on another i386 system (also a PowerEdge
2950).  It has six SCSI disks, four of which form a RAID 1+0, and two a
RAID 1.  The installer sees /dev/sd[abc], but after the system is
installed the disk which was sdc became sdb, and the original sdb became
sda.

I should probably find out what sda is...  I can try this tomorrow.

> And do you know the kernel versions in the installer and
> the installed system?

I don't remember which version they were exactly (something like
2.6.18?), but calling uname(1) from an installer shell and from the
installed system's shell both showed the same release version.

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~