xorg and fonts

is there something that is supposed to update /etc/X11/xorg.conf
regarding font paths --- or something that is supposed to make the
installed fonts available otherwise? I got an automatically created
xorg.conf with no font paths specified, so I put the paths in
myself. Or do things like kdm/gdm/xdm specify font paths on the
commandline when starting the xserver?

There was a Section "Files" in xorg.conf, but it was empty.

"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."