Re: iptables, ftp and dnat?

Hi

You should try and keep this on list

Alex

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 02:17:42PM -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:

[snip]

> I've updated my rules to this:
> #  # allow ftpd
>   HARVARD="10.1.1.32"
>   /sbin/modprobe nf_conntrack_ftp
>   # General
>   iptables -I INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
>   iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>   iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 21 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>   iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 21 -j DNAT --to
> 10.1.1.32:21
>
> I think I confused myself though,  do I need the other rules I had for
> port 20 or will the first INPUT rule
> above cover that?

have a look here http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html (quick google on
ftp & ports).

It shows you how the ports are used for ftp.

The ftp contrack module that you where loading previous should handle
the "related" ports and allow them through, what I am not sure about is
weather it will handle the dnat'ing of those port.  But then again you
could specify passive ftp only

here is another link
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/iptables-open-ftp-port-21/ (again google).

My strength is in itables not ftp (which is the reason for googling :) )

Also anything to do with iptables and firewalls you should probably read
a tutorial on iptables

--
"Obviously, I pray every day there's less casualty."

	- George W. Bush
04/11/2004
Fort Hood, TX