Re: Erase cache, clean registry in Linux

> Q: How are we going to do that?
> A: It's not possible in general.

Of course it is, since you can always fall back on the current code in
those cases where you don't know how else to do it.

> When something is impossible, it's impractical to think about how it
> would be done.

Solving NP-hard problems in a reasonable amount of time is considered
(currently and maybe for ever) impossible in general.  Yet, people write
programs that do that every day.

> Ex-Gentoo user; didn't like the configuration file update command dumping
> gconf files through less.  I imagine diff3 would be quite a bit worse.

Right now, dpkg dumps you a "diff" output.  Would "diff3" be worse, really?
Furthermore, once you know that something like diff3 (or some other
merge algorithm) can be used, you can start adjusting your config files
so that they play nicely with it.

        Stefan