Re: Synaptic. Can't find where it saves history

On Monday 01 December 2008 19:21, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon,01.Dec.08, 18:09:06, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi Folks.
> >
> > Does anyone know where Synaptic saves it's history? I can view the
> > history of packages installed, or uninstalled when Synaptic is open, but
> > where exactly is this history saved on the machine.
> >
> > Looking at the installed files for Synaptic, when Synaptic is open,
> > nothing stands out. There's a whole bunch of glade stuff,
> > and /usr/share/synaptic/glade/window_logview.glade, appears to be the
> > window displayed when accessing the history in Synaptic, but no comments
> > as to where the history displayed in this window is actually located.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to where to look, commands to try, etc.
>
> Such stuff is usually stored in /var
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Hi Andrei

Yes I know, but there is zilch in /var for Synaptics history. I mean, it must
be somewhere on the harddrive.

I have a  problem on Fedora 9, where synaptic will not install packages, but
will remove them, and I know that Fedora's apt-rpm is different to Debians,
but I removed synaptic, including all files, yet when I re-installed
synaptic, all the history was still available from previous installs using
synaptic. I know when you say remove all files, sometimes some stuff is left
behind, but I'm darned if I can find out where the history files are.

Perhaps I will have to go to the home page for synaptic, and if there's a
mailing list/forum see if someone can point me in the right direction to
these files.

Thanks for your reply.

Nigel.