Re: edd = Bios Enhanced Disk Drive Services

Adrian Levi wrote:
2008/12/1 Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>:
Hi,

Back in May I reported a problem using 'vga=791' with post 2.6.24 Debian 686
kernels: the kernel booted w/o framebuffer support.

I reported this as a bug:

Turns out as of Oct. 4th 2008 that problem has been identified as having to
do with edd, specifically Debian has CONFIG_EDD=m and *that* causes the

I'm having trouble understanding why framebuffer and the disc
subsystem are close enough in the kernel that enabling a framebuffer
mode causes edd to fail.

EDD was working on its own, and presumably framebuffer=791 works on its own?

Why is the interaction between these two things causing new problems?

I have no idea. But I found 2 descriptions of the problem:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/974276
http://fixunix.com/kernel/548915-framebuffer-issues-2-6-26-uvesafb-vesafb-linux-about-choice.html

I verified by recompiling linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 with not setting CONFIG_EDD that it does indeed solve the problem.

As you see from the bug description I owe the solution to Vedran Furač who appended the bug report with the solution but did not specify how he discovered that.

Googling vesafb + edd shows the solution but w/o edd it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Hugo