Re: PCI ethernet card RTL8139D now partially reconized, but not working

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 09:22:59PM -0500, I wrote:

> I have tested loading 8139too by itself and both 8139cp and 8139too.
> No errors but ping fails with "Destination Host Unreachable" in both
> cases.  Interestingly, the LED at the back of the card flashes and
> the LED at the network hub flashes, both when initiating the ping
> locally or remotely.
>
> So it looks like the proper driver for this card is 8139too, but
> something is not quite right (tested on kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.24 and
> 2.6.26, all locally compiled)

I keep debugging this and I notice that the output of /sbin/route
is a little different between the machine with the RTL8139D (that
doesn't work) and another on the local network.

The routing table of the RTL8139D:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway     Genmask         Flags Metric Ref   Use   Iface
localnet        *           255.255.255.0   U     0      0       0   eth4

Whereas in another machine that works fine (with the b44 network driver):

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway     Genmask         Flags Metric Ref   Use   Iface
192.168.2.0     *           255.255.255.0   U     0      0      0    eth0
link-local      *           255.255.0.0     U     1000   0      0    eth0

The few machines on this local network all have static addresses.

ping 192.168.2.5 (the ip of the machine that doesn't quite work) works
fine, as does ping localhost, as does ping <name of the machine>, but
ping <any other machine> fails with "Destination Host Unreachable".

What part of the configuration am I missing?  It should be working...

A.