edd = Bios Enhanced Disk Drive Services

Hi,

Back in May I reported a problem using 'vga=791' with post 2.6.24 Debian 686 kernels: the kernel booted w/o framebuffer support.

I reported this as a bug:

Turns out as of Oct. 4th 2008 that problem has been identified as having to do with edd, specifically Debian has CONFIG_EDD=m and *that* causes the problem on my system: EP-8VTAI mobo, 1G memory, 2-seater with a GeForce 6200 PCI + GeForce 6200 AGP.

The solution is to specify 'edd=off' on the kernel commandline.

The kernel's help text says for this option:

Say Y or M here if you want to enable BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive
Services real mode BIOS calls to determine which disk
BIOS tries boot from. This information is then exported via sysfs.

This option is experimental and is known to fail to boot on some
obscure configurations. Most disk controller BIOS vendors do
not yet implement this feature.

For an extra 15 points on this test: how does one figure out whether one has one of those "obscure configurations" *before* trying 'edd=off'?

Hugo