framemaker replacement ?

I have  friend who's interested in trying out free software.  Her
immediate request is for something to replace Framemaker.  It seems she's
involved in the use of Framemaker to make "books" for salesmen.

I have little more information about her application at present, but I
expect to speak to her in detail in the near future, and it would help
immensely to have a bit of familiarity with what's available.  Pointers
to reviews, names of packages, etc., most welcome.

So. what Linux tools (or, if need be, free tools that also work on
Windows) are available that have a chance of accomplishing what
Framemaker does?

Myself, I hand-code HTML in emacs when I want to create a document.  Or
write a custom C program to generate postscript code.  But I think she's
enough of an end-user that she'd appreciate this method.  In any case,
the salesmen wouldn't.

-- hendrik