Re: ALSA sound recording frustration

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:01:01AM -0600, lee wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 09:38:40AM -0500, Mark Neidorff wrote:
>
> > also want to be able to record sound from the stereo headphones jack of my
> > radio and the stereo audio out from my XM radio.
>
> The headphone connector is for headphones, it is not for connecting
> recording devices: If the voltage and/or current are too high/much,
> you can damage the soundcard.

Last time I looked my headphones had no independent power source of
their own. The headphones output provides a certain current to the
headphones.

Any other device connected there would also be feeding on that and would
not provide power. Hence the voltage of the power it does not provide
cannot really damage your sound card that way.

You had some interesting observation regarding the definition of Volt.
If you have any comments on the definition in wikipedia, please note
them on the comments page of the relevant value.

This is an off-topic thread. Let's just drop it. On Debian the
definition of "Volt" is "The result from lmsensors, multiplied by factor
A plus factor B".