Re: OT: volt and current (ALSA sound recording frustration)

lee wrote:
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 04:48:59PM -0500, Napoleon wrote:
lee wrote:
On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 02:43:28PM -0500, Napoleon wrote:
lee wrote:
Is it even possible to measure a mere potential?
Of course.  That's what voltage is.
Hm, true, voltage is impossible without current flowing because of how
voltage is defined. No current <--> no voltage, and voltage is
something that doesn't exist. I never thought of it like that before.

Incorrect. Voltage is strictly an excess or shortage of electrons. Current flow is not necessary for voltage to exist.

You really do need to take some electric theory courses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volt:

"The volt is defined as the potential difference across a conductor
when a current of one ampere dissipates one watt of power."

Then the above definition is incorrect.

I'm no EE, and I may be wrong about this, but I think you're confusing "voltage" (difference in potential) with "volt" (a specific amount of difference in potential).

--
Kent