Re: ALSA sound recording frustration

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 02:40:45PM -0500, Napoleon wrote:
> lee wrote:
>> It's likely that voltage and water pressure exist even when you don't
>> measure them, but without measuring them (or otherwise observing their
>> effects), you don't know that they do. Not oberserving something
>> doesn't mean that it still exists.
>>

> It also does not mean it does not exist.

Indeed --- it only means that you don't know weather it still exists
or not.

>>> The question is immaterial.  Whether you know or not is not related
>>> to  the presence (or absence) of voltage.
>>
>> But measuring/observing is?
>>

> Measuring/observing has nothing to do as to whether something exists in
> the macro world - only in quantum physics (which we are not discussing
> here).
>
> Right now I don't have a thermometer, so I can't measure the outside
> temperature.  However, I am confident it exists!

Well, I was just outside, and there was a temperature. That doesn't
mean that it's still there, but I can see the thermometer from here :)

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm