RAM limit?

I know, it's one of those questions, but i'd like some extra input.

My motherboard is an Asus M2NPV-VM with a AMD ATHLON64 3500+ (AM2
socket). I currently have two Kingston 1G DDR2 667MHz CL5 dual channel
thingies (DIMMs?) and am considering upgrading to 4 or 6GB total. I
know the board supports up to 8GB and up to 800MHz. Apparently the
processor "can address up to 1 TB of RAM" but i don't find Wikipedia
reliable and AMD's site is not that friendly (although i did find
this[1] which mentions "beyond 4GB" capability).

The questions are:
- does the 2.6.26-1-amd64 kernel support up to 6GB?
- does it support PAE? How can i check/enable?
- what are the performance issues in using PAE?

- [OT] if i get 2x 800MHz, since i already have 2x 667MHz, other than
in fact using all 4 at 667MHz because of the current 2, is there any
other issue i should know about?

Searching around either gives me no deifine answers or the 3GB 32bit
Redmond limit. I found these links useful:
http://www.spack.org/wiki/LinuxRamLimits
http://www.unix.com/linux/37947-built-ram-limit-64-bit.html
and they seem to point to a thumbs up for upgrading to 4 or 6GB
without a problem. Still, i'd like to know other opinions, especially
if the information is recent and/or you have experience with this
hardware configuration.

This is not a production machine, just my desktop.
TIA for all your constructive criticism :)

Nuno Magalhães

[1] http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/dwamd_Value_of_AMD64_White_Paper.pdf