Re: advice on cloning system

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 03:39, tom arnall wrote:
> I want to put linux on a new computer, without having to rebuild
> all my applications. Following are the steps I plan to take:
>
> 	Install a base system with the same network installer
> 	that I used for the source machine and without getting
> 	anything from the network.
>
> 	Copy to the new machine from old with:
>
> 		su
> 		mount /dev/sda3 /sD
> 		cp -dRvpu  / /sD
>
> 	The drive on the new machine is bigger and of a
> 	different brand. For the copy, the new drive is
> 	attached to the old machine as a usb drive.
>
> am i missing anything?

  Sometimes persistent network card info gets stored in
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules.  Your copy operation
will copy the MAC-address-indexed entry for a device on the old
system, and when the new system boots up, it will think that
the old device name is taken, and will assign a new device name
for its network card.

  So, you might discover that the network interface that was eth0
when you did the base install will suddenly become eth1 when
you boot the copied system.

  The work-around, of course, is to remove the about-to-be-wrong
entry from that file after doing the copy.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net