Re: NFS Not mounting at boot

Sven Joachim wrote:
>>> Tue Nov 25 18:49:47 2008: Starting portmap daemon...Already running..
>
> This is the problem, portmap is not actually running, causing rpc.statd...
>
>>> Tue Nov 25 18:49:47 2008: Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!
>>> Tue Nov 25 18:50:09 2008: mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
>>> Tue Nov 25 18:50:09 2008:    Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.
>
> ...to fail.

Interesting. I swear I've seen that message countless times before over the
years and it never registered as a problem as everything seemed to work. I just
assumed it had legitimately been called multiple times and this wasn't the first
invocation.

statd appears elsewhere so I assumed it wasn't a problem. Wrong again!

>> I've been through the init scripts looking for the actual call to mount (so I
>> could work upwards and find out what is wrong)...but I can't find it.
>>
>> Manual mounting once it's running works fine, so as a temporary hack I've just
>> put mount -a in my rc.local, but I'd like to find the real problem(s?).
>
> They are in the portmap init script:

> You may want to watch (e.g. subscribe to) these bugs.

D'oh. I saw those but didn't read down far enough as the titles didn't register
as being related to my problems. My bad.

I'll keep tabs on those, cheers!

- Jamie