Re: Why packages in testing/unstable require the newer shared libraries ?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:53, Boris Toloknov <tlknv@yandex.ru> wrote:

<snip>

> I read http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html,
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html and some other
> articles however I don't understand: Why packages in testing/unstable
> require the newer shared libraries ?

Packages in testing or unstable require newer shared libraries because they are
newer. Not much point in releasing a new version of Debian without new versions
of programs. *It is brand new and improved! It just happens to have exactly the
same components as the old version! But we swear it is new and better!*

Sometimes it is possible to build a new version of a program with an older
version of a lib, but sometimes it is not. Libs get important bug fixes and new
features, just like anything else. If an new version of an app depends on a
feature that is only in a new version of a lib, there is no way around it.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers