Re: shutdown -r hangs

On Wed November 26 2008, François Cerbelle wrote:
> > why won't it reboot, or what can I look at?
>
> Do you have the acpi module loaded in kernel ?
>
> I have similar problems (for halt) and solved it with the acpi module. It
> might be the apm module too.

oops, I didn't get to finish my last email..
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/linux-acpi-and-bios-acpi-problem-to-understand-and-giving-out-bugs-469366/

I had a similar problem with my Shuttle ak31 v2 motherboard
. First off, this motherboard must not handle ACPI correctly. Ever since FC2
I've had to use "acpi=off" in the grub.conf which disables ACPI in Linux, but
everything worked fine (it uses APM instead) in FC2, FC3, FC4 and FC5. Once I
upgraded to FC6, however, Fedora would no longer turn off the power on my PC
when I shut it down. It would just stop, with the last message on the screen
being "System halted.". After much googling I found this page,
http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=38210
which recommended adding "acpi=off apm=on apm=power-off" to the grub.conf.
Since my acpi was already off, and I new my APM was already on I simply had
to add "apm=power-off" to my grub.conf and now Linux will shut the power off
on my PC after it shuts down!

My relevant grub.conf entry now looks like this:

title Fedora Core (2.6.19-1.2895.fc6)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 ro root=/dev/hda2 selinux=0 vga=791
acpi=off apm=power-off elevator=anticipatory
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.img
savedefault

Hope this info helps.
I'll try this and reboot..
I tried it with both off and both on, no change no reboot

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800