Re: Upgrading a kernel in a remote server without fears, how

Arnau <arnaulist@andromeiberica.com>:

>    This is a question that probably has appeared a lot of times here but
>  I haven't found a solution.

Google:  blah site:lists.debian.org

>    Yesterday I went to the data center where our servers are hosted.
>  There I tried to upgrade the kernel of one of our servers. It's a Dell
>  Poweredge 1950 running a 2.6.18-6-686-bigmem installed via aptitude, no
>  manual compilation. I installed  linux-image-2.6.26-bpo.1-686-bigmem and
>  rebooted it. Afterwards there were no network, drivers problems.
>
>    Thanks to I was there I was able to reboot again the server with
>  another kernel version.
>
>    And here comes my question, is there a way to ensure that the kernel
>  will work? I don't think so, but how you do this? upgrade a kernel

The kernel did work.  Network/NIC driver config didn't.

Ensure your NIC is supported by the running kernel.  Choose
standardized hardware, not stuff that needs (eg.) ndiswrapper, or post
install reconfig.