Re: hostname must tally with fqdn in /etc/hosts?

Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com>:

>  Why that must be, I mean when changing the hostname with hostname
>  command, we also sometimes need to do the same with /etc/hosts else
>  something weird would happen. Does the command hostname writes
>  somewhere else other than /etc/hosts?

man hostname:

    The  host  name is usually set once at system startup in
    /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or /etc/init.d/boot (normally by reading the
    contents of a file which contains the host name, e.g.
    /etc/hostname).

Please turn off HTML multipart and post text only.  :-)