Re: [:ascii:] character class

On Monday 2008 November 24 10:54, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Andre Majorel wrote:
> > I seem to remember that the non-standard [:ascii:] character class
> > was once supported. Now grep and sed give the error "Invalid
> > character class name". Am I misremembering ? More importantly, is
> > there a way to get it back ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> "[[:ascii:]]" ?

Nope.  It's gone, and it probably won't be coming back.

from regex(7):
Standard character class names are:

              alnum       digit       punct
              alpha       graph       space
              blank       lower       upper
              cntrl       print       xdigit

You might be able to do something like '[\000-\377]' but I'm not sure exactly
how all the escaping rules work for that off the top of my head.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))