Re: DPT2044W SCSI adaptor with disk installed but no /dev/sd* devices created

lee wrote, on 25/11/08 01:24:
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 04:29:52PM +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:

Hi, I have a DPT2044W SCSI adaptor identified with lspci -vv as:
which has an IBM SCSI disk attached, which contains MS-Windows95 OSR2.

If I set the BIOS to boot SCSI first, the disk is recognised and boots.

I have an IDE disk with sid installed and using 2.6.27 kernel, have the following scsi messages only in dmesg:

[ 4.619341] Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4 loaded (major 254)
[   12.129340] SCSI subsystem initialized

No /dev/sd* devices get created.

I guess the real SCSI devices need to be available before the generic
driver can create generic devices from them --- but I don't know for
sure. Generic devices would be /dev/sg*, not /dev/sd*.

lsmod reports only the following scsi related module:

scsi_mod              131388  1 libata

You seem to have support for SATA drives enabled in the kernel
configuration, but you don't need that because no SATA drives are
connected. If there were, you would see them as /dev/sd*.

Does anyone have any sugggestions on how to get Debian GNU/Linux to
create the device files for the SCSI disk and be able to see the
disk in gparted and the like?

It seems like you don't have a module installed for the SCSI
card. Google should tell you which module is needed for this card. If
you can load the module with modprobe, it's already available. If you
don't have the module, you can reconfigure and recompile your kernel
to get it. If you want to boot from SCSI, it can be a good idea to
compile SCSI support as needed into the kernel instead of using
modules.

The correct module for the DPT SCSI card is eata but when I do:

modprobe eata

I get a kernel stack trace and a system lock-up )-:.

I had no problem accessing the SCSI disk using sysrescuecd (gentoo-based) which does not use an initrd and has eata built-in.

I've reported this as Debian Bug #506835.

I may have to download the kernel source and recompile the kernel with eata built-in rather than a module to get a working Debian-based solution.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Arthur.