Re: lynx and readme.gz

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:35:06AM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> Lee, you asked about gziped files like README.Debian.gz.  That doesn't
> come from a web server.

It sometimes does.

> What happens if you just hit g (go), then
> /usr/local/share/doc
>
> Then arrow down to a directory, arrow right into that directory and,
> assuming that there is a README.Debian.gz file, arrow right on the
> file?

That's what I was doing. I wanted to read the readme, but lynx only
offers me to download it, not to display it.

> This also assumes that you haven't played with the default debian
> /etc/lynx.cfg file (other than to change colours, etc); there may be
> some magic embedded there.

Well, I haven't changed the global config for lynx --- I didn't even
know that there is one until now.

Hm, there seem to be lots of options in lynx.cfg, but almost
everything is disabled. The file has 3569 lines, but only 34 lines are
not empty and don't start with a "." or a "#". And there is no manpage
about lynx.cfg.

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm