Re: Reinstalling Packages after Rebuilding System with Etch

Andrew Reid writes:
> On Monday 24 November 2008 21:13, Andrew Reid wrote:
> [ Cloning technique... ]
>
>   OK, hit "send" too fast -- I hadn't appreciated that
> you are migrating from "Sarge" to "Etchnhalf" while doing
> this.
>
>   The package-cloning idea still might work, but I have never
> tried it as an upgrade technique, only to restore the package
> state when recovering from disk failure.
>
>   Probably if you take some care with editing the package
> list, it would be fine.
>
>                                 -- A.
> --

	My thanks to both respondents and for the clarification.
Yes. I am upgrading to etch and heard that the upgrade broke
lots of things, otherwise, I'd just upgrade. Maybe as a
compromise, I should list all packages as discussed, backup the
system as I do have room and another system on which to do this,
and then try the upgrade route first. If nothing seriously blows
up, I am home free. If it won't boot afterward or something else
equally nauseating happens, I at least have a backup of what was
before I broke it.

	Again, thanks.

Martin McCormick