Re: command for checking executability

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 18:03, Can-Hua Chen <chencanhua@fudan.edu.cn> wrote:
> hi, I am writing a bash script, and need a way (preferably a
> shell command) to check whether a binary file can run on
> the platform before hand.

I think you could do this with file or readelf, although I am not
sure if this is the best way.

file /bin/cp
/bin/cp: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped

readelf -h /bin/cp
ELF Header:
  Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  Class:                             ELF32