Re: Setting up a USB WiFi adapter from the terminal

2008/11/23 en0f <en0f@bokey.mine.nu>
Sam Kuper wrote:
> I've just installed Etch on a Thinkpad 240 and installed a Netgear WG111v3
> USB WiFi adapter according to the instructions
> here<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/wifi-card-netgear-wg111v3-usb2.0-in-debian-4.0-615300/#post3166535>.
> Now I need to configure it so that it will connect to my wireless access
> point (a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, in case that's significant) over WPA-Personal
> using AES.
>
> Suppose my access point's SSID was 'MyAccessPoint' and my WPA key was
> 'someoldwpakey', how would I go about doing this (without using any
> desktop/windowed utilities, because I don't have adesktop environment or
> window manager installed)?

You need wpa_supplicant -
everest:~# aptitude search wpasupplicant
p   wpasupplicant                                        - Client support for WPA and WPA2 (IEEE
802.11i)

Thanks for the pointer. I had been a bit puzzled about that, because of being able to supposedly configure wifi via /etc/network/interfaces, but I've installed the wpasupplicant package now and - after a lengthy bout with the READMEs, it's working fine :)

Thank you!

Sam