Re: Q: List Policy

On Sunday 23 November 2008 03:09:04 Teemu Likonen wrote:
> It's usually about using the "correct" clients and
> configuration, mailing list configuration, Reply-To and Mail-Followup-To
> usage etc. So far nobody has managed to convince everybody that their
> system is the best one. Hence my point: there is no perfect universally
> agreed policy and we just have to live with it.

    Problem is that this one can be quantified in what is harmful.  It isn't a
matter of preferences but of facts.

> A related suggestion is that it is quite pointless to present arguments
> in terms of "if you used this client and had this feature" because there
> is a zoo of different ways of receiving and reading mail and in general
> pretty much only "Reply" and "Reply to all" buttons work reliably. With
> these limitations the large body of people tend to use the means which
> are the most convenient and least painful for _them_.

    Yes.  But as has been pointed out on this, and many other lists, when
something causes extra work for the large portion of people then it is not
something that should be done for the convenience of certain people based on
their preferences in software.  IE, the appropriate response on this, and
many, many, other forums is that the person who is insisting the community add
extra work to all members to appease them is told to shove it and change their
behaviors.

    CCing caused work for more people.

    Filtering replies sent to you via the list causes work for one person.

    That's not preference, that's simple mathematics.  N > 1 when N is the
entire userbase of the mailing list.  Anyone arguing preference for CCing is
arguing for work for all people involved.  Put plainly, opinion vs. facts.
Facts when when opinion are contrary to them.  Just that simple.

--
         Steve C. Lamb         | But who can decide what they dream
       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |      and dream I do