Re: A lot of help needed with the automake process

On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 14:42 +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Raven wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I recently coded a small GNOME applet and before sharing it with a few
> > friends I wanted to make it "noob-proof" :)
> >
> > Basically I wanted to create the usual "configure" and Makefile scripts so
> > that I can give my buddies the 3 simple commands to install the applet.
> > After reading several (at least 5) different online tutorials, I'm afraid
> > I can't figure out how to create those scripts.
> > This is the current situation:
> >
> > * There is only one source file (myapplet.c) in /src
> > * I have two folders, /pixmaps e /conf, that contain some graphics for the
> > applet and the initial configuration file
> > * In the folder root I also have the .server file needed by Bonobo
> >
> > and this is what I want to accomplish:
> >
> > * The compiled binary has to end up in /usr/lib/gnome-applets/
> > * The graphics (icons and a logo) have to be copied in
> > /usr/share/pixmaps/myapplet
> > * The configuration file has to be copied in ~/.myapplet/myapplet.conf *
> > The .server file has to be copied in in /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/
> >
> > The configure script should also check for dependencies such as gtk+,
> > glibc and libxml2.
>
> How are you compiling the applet at your end? Perhaps it would be
> simpler to create a small build script that installs the build
> dependencies, compiles and installs your applet.

I am now compiling the hard way via the command line with a bunch of
"pkg-config" statements in the gcc command.
I guess I could write up a build.sh, but I would have liked to do it in
a more "standard" way.
As I said, I read several tutorials but none of them dealt with more
than the basics. If you (or anyone else) knows about something else that
could help me, I'd be happy to read it.

> Alternatively, have you considered simply sending them the binary with a
> small install script? You can add an apt-get line to the script to
> install the dependencies.

Mhmm..that's also an interesting idea. Can you point me towards any
interesting online resource?

-R