Re: dpkg fails with parse error in /var/lib/dpkg/status

Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2008-11-21 18:12 +0100, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

I tried to do a dist-upgrade on my machine running sid, when dpkg
failed complaining about the following parse error in the `status'
file.

=====
# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 2881
package `python-4suite-xml':
 package has status installed but triggers are awaited
#
=====

How can I fix this? I am unable to use dpkg at all as every invocation
spits out the above error message.

Any info/pointers would be helpful.

I think you've hit another instance of bug #487637¹.  This is supposed
to be fixed in dpkg 1.14.21, which version of dpkg is installed on your
system?

The above bug appears to be triggered when the disk fills up while dpkg is running. However, that is not the case for me. The version of dpkg installed on my system was 1.14.23, the latest for sid. I tried replacing the dpkg executable from version 1.14.22 (lenny) by manually unpacking and copying the executable over to /usr/bin. However, that has not helped. I could not find version 1.14.21 either in the mirrors or on archive.debian.org. I shall try downloading the source and compiling.

Meanwhile, I should probably file a bug report as Eugene suggested.

Sven

                                       -- Albert Einstein