Re: Which files do what: .bashrc and friends

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On a Debian-based system running KDE 3.5.10 I see several files that
are used when logging in / starting a Konsole:

.profile

Run once upon login.

.bash_history

List of previous commands for recall/edit/re execution

.bash_logout

Run once upon logout

.bash_profile

I believe equivalent to .profile

.bashrc

Run once for each interactive shell, after .profile

The main difference between .profile and .bashrc is that
.profile only gets run when you start a "login shell",
but .bashrc gets run for all shells.

So, for example, if you use

$ su -

you'll run root's .profile and .bashrc, but

$ su

only runs root's .bashrc

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.