Re: [OT] less spam

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:06:36 -0500
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After the shutdown of that server I get less spam.
> > Others have noted that too:
> >
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/18/AR2008111801120.html?hpid=topnews
> >
> > Hugo
>
> yep. A more graphical version of the result can be seen at
> http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=stats (look
> at the monthly averages). With projects like castlecops' SIRT/PIRT/MIRT,
> knujon, complainterator etc., spammers are having a very hard time this
> year! Good for us!

Not to worry; the spamming botnet is coming back online:

McColo, a network provider that was yanked offline following reports it
enabled more than half the world's spam, briefly returned from the dead
over the weekend so it could hand-off command and control channels to a
new source, security researchers said.

The rogue network provider regained connectivity for about 12 hours on
Saturday by making use of a backup arrangement it had with Swedish
internet service provider TeliaSonera. During that time, McColo was
observed pushing as much as 15MB of data per second to servers located
in Russia, according to Paul Ferguson, a security researcher for
anti-virus software maker Trend Micro.

The brief resurrection allowed miscreants who rely on McColo to update
a portion of the massive botnets they use to push spam and malware.
Researchers from FireEye saw PCs infected by the Rustock botnet being
updated so they'd report to a new server located at
abilena.podolsk-mo.ru for instructions. That means the sharp drop in
spam levels reported immediately after McColo's demise isn't likely to
last.>

(hat tip: http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/11/18/219204.shtml).

> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Celejar