Dovecot Namespace with system and virtual users

Hi,

Been wrestling with this for a couple of weekends now to no avail.
Google searches have provided incomplete information for me to solve
this. I want to be able to receive and retrieve mail from system users
using mbox format with pam for authentication and virtual users using
maildir format with mysql authentication. This system was working
correctly for system users prior to the addition of virtual users. I
followed the http://workaround.org/articles/ispmail-etch/#abstract
to set up the postfix, dovecot with mysql authentication. It does not
really cover using two different authentication methods though. Pop or
imap access does not matter to me if I can only get it to work with one
method.

The error the way it is currently set up is that the users mailbox will
not update (new mail will not display-the old mail in that mailbox is
readable). Logging in and out makes no difference either. The folders in
~/Mail/ that contain the subscribed folders work perfectly. Output of
dovecot -n:
# 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_debug: yes
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
pop3_uidl_format(default):
pop3_uidl_format(imap):
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): %08Xu%08Xv
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  location: mbox:/home/%u/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/home/%u/indexes
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  username_format: %u
  verbose: yes
  debug: yes
  debug_passwords: yes
  passdb:
    driver: pam
    args: dovecot
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
    args: home=/var/mail/%u mail=mbox:~/Mail
  userdb:
    driver: static
    args: uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/home/vmail/%d/%n allow_all_users=yes
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 384
      user: vmail

System is Debian Testing on Athlon XP 2600+, postfix 2.5.5, dovecot
1.0.15, mysql 5.0.51

Thanks for any and all help,

Jim