RE: BIOS Problem

First: I don't know if it was the same for others, but your email came
as an attachment. I have not had that before on this list so I think it
may be your mail.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have had similar issues. In one case, I was able to simply disable the
IDE connection within the BIOS. That BIOS had quite a few non-standard
features, and being able to disable certain devices, like the IDE, was a
bonus and not likely to be standard. I do not know your motherboard.

I also one tried to migrate a Debian install off of a IDE drive and onto
a SATA drive (all partitions including grub) and I found it to be really
slow. I tried updating grub and a few tricks I found on this group, but
I was never able to get it to boot right. The grub prompt came up pretty
quick but it took about ~5 minutes to properly load the Linux kernel and
start booting. Since everything I had was backed up, I just wiped the
system and started over. Worked fine after that. The best we could
figure was I had missed some link or pointer and it wasn't happy that it
had left IDE.

Hope this helps!

Have fun!
~S~