Re: 8x12 inch images

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:50:20 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was asked to provide jpeg images that are 8x12 inch prints.
>
> But I don't have a printer, only the images.
>
> How can I make sure the images print @ 8x12 inch.

You can check this with "indentify" from the imagemagick packge, e.g.:

$ identify -verbose network.jpg | grep -E 'Geo|Resol|Print'
  Geometry: 1417x1376+0+0
  Resolution: 300x300
  Print size: 4.72333x4.58667

You adjust these values with Gimp, as Micheal Pobega has already
suggested, or you can use imagemagick's convert command in a script if
you have to process a large number of pictures.

Ideally the resolution should match the resolution of the final printing
device if file size constraints allow this. However, it makes no sense
to increase the resolution beyond the one of your original image, unless
you suspect that the printers (i.e. the final printing device and its
human operators) are incapable ensuring the best possible upsampling for
the final print.

          Florian   |