Re: eeepc

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:30:48AM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 06:01:52PM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 10:12:03PM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am considering a eeepc, and need wireless. How is wireless support
> > > with lenny on the latest eeepc? And what is the process of configuring
> > > wireless?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Danny
> > >

> > I'm on an Eee PC 900 now, and I can say that the wireless is supported
> > very well. I think the 700 and 901 have same the wireless card, whereas
> > the 1000H and S101 have other cards, although again, I'm not 100% sure.
> >
> > And from what I've read ath5k has support for the Eee PC's wireless
> > card, but with varied success from users.
> >

> Ok, thanks I'll have a look... So if I buy the latest one in the shops
> here in Australia, am I likely to face problems?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Danny

Probably not, it is entirely dependant on the model, though I think all
models are supported (I just can't say for sure since I only own a 900).

The Debian Wiki Eee PC page[1] may be of interest to you, it was an
invaluable source of information for me when I was initially installing
Debian on my Eee PC. There is also a beta installer that supports WiFi
with WPA encryption, I'd suggest you use that one so your wireless will
work out of the box. If not there is a page[2] all about configuring
wireless drivers.

You may also want to check out this page[3], which compares all the Eee
PC models and their features along with Debian's support for each.
Apparently the 904HD is completely unsupported, so I would avoid that
model at all costs (It's ugly as hell, anyway)

[1]http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC
[2]http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Wifi
[3]http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Models

--