Re: What is the point of RAID?

On Friday 14 November 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>
wrote about 'Re: What is the point of RAID?':
>On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> On Thursday 13 November 2008, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@vianet.ca>
>> wrote
>> about 'Re: What is the point of RAID?':
>> >The other thing to consider as that you don't necessarily need the
>> > same performance/protection for the whole dataset on a system.
>>
>> Yeah, I can understand that.  I use software raid-1 for /boot, software
>> raid-0 for (a) directories I consider "owned" by package management, so
>> that reinstalling from fast net or local mirror solves that problem and
>> (b) "throw-away" data like /var/tmp, and hardware raid-5/6 (depending
>> on # of drives) for real data like /home, /srv, /var, etc.
>
>At which point you might as well use two or more swap partitions with the
>same priority (and _not_ on top of a raid device), to get high-speed swap
> as if it were raid-0'ed.  After all, a single drive crash WILL bring
> your system down anyway...

Yeah, I'm not doing swap that way, because I like being able to resize swap
as easily as any of my other logical volumes, so it's on LVM on RAID-0.

I find if you want swap on LVM, it's better to put RAID-0 under LVM rather
than multiple logical volumes used as swap at the same priority, that that
could be different with a different setup.  (Yes, my way is a slower.)

My current setup:
2x 74G 10k disks -> partitions -> md0 (raid-1), md1 (raid-0)
8x 1T 7200 disks -> Areca -> sda (raid-6)
sda + md1 -> vg -> 9 lvs.

Not sure the best way to convert that setup to using two lvs (one on each
10k drive) as same-priority swap.  BTW, this is a desktop, there's no way
I suggest this for a server that has to be up in the case of drive
failure.

For a server, raid-1 or raid-1/0 on fast drives [2] for the "system files"
and raid-5 or raid-6 if there need to be a lot of attached data.  "A lot"
is more than 2 large HDs worth, less than that but more than fits on the
system drives would be a second raid-1 or raid-1/0 on large, slow [1]
drives.  A single disk failure in a server should not stop services and
should be recoverable without a reboot.

[1] < 10k rpm
[2] >= 10k rpm
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))