Re: How to uninstall a tar.gz package?

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 04:31:13PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I have auctex 11.84 installed via tar.gz package, and want now to have the cvs
> version.
>
> Can anybody please suggest all the steps so to completely remove the old one?
> Or maybe simply installing the cvs version will override the old installation?

  Read the instructions in the package, probably in README or INSTALL.

  When you install a package from a .tar.gz file, you're installing
software by hand and there isn't a general procedure -- you do it by
unpacking the archive and following the instructions it contains.  For
that reason, there is no general procedure for uninstalling it -- you
have to reverse whatever you did in the installation steps, and I don't
know what you did.

  Of course, none of this would be an issue if you had just installed
the Debian package. ;-)

  Daniel