Re: Very slim Desktop Manager

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:21:06PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > Then you should try mplayer playing movies in ascii on the console. :)
> Just did, awesome!
>
> BTW, while playing an avi file in a console, trying to change to another
> console caused the computer to hang.

This is quite strange that it happens with mplayer in ascii art mode. It
could happen an _apparent_ hang when one uses mplayer in true graphic
mode in console (or any graphic mode console program) and then the
program is _brutally killed_ (dosemu old bugs anyone? dosemu
documantation should still have some racomendations for cases like this;
especially read the keyboard suggestions, even if with modern kernels
maig sysreq might be sufficient)

This might leave the video card in inconsistent state (this can also
happen with X using some low quality video drivers, especially
proprietary ones, and one switches from X to text mode). But behind the
unreadable video output the machine is still working, as one can see
from remote logins.

On i386 architecture a solution might be (and has been for me in all
cases where I needed something like this) remotely run a program (mode3?
I do not remenber the name) from svgalib-bin which accesses real-mode
registers in the vido card bios (or something like this) to restore a
sane video output. But be aware of the warnings that the man page
explains.

If and when a _real_ hang happens, use magic sysreq provided by the
kernel and not the reset button.