Re: Ctrl key stuck? with every key press?

2008/11/13 diane mittnik <dianemittnik@gmail.com>:
> I'm using Debian Etch on a laptop with KDE (everything is stable
> version unless otherwise noted).  I've had problems in the past where
> some app would crash, or seg-fault (or possibly some other error would
> happen) and as a result, the screen saver wouldn't work, or the
> keyboard repeat would stop working, and I'd have to go into kcontrol
> to re-enable the keyboard repeat or re-enable the screensaver.  This
> hasn't happened anymore for quite a few months.  I recently intalled
> akregator for rss feeds.  It seg-faulted once when I was downloading
> feeds and it froze up (about 30-40 feeds).  After I restarted it, it
> worked normally.  Shortly thereafter (and it may not be related to
> akregator's seg-fault), I couldn't use the keyboard anymore, because
> every key press was resulting in a combo key press as if I was holding
> down the CTRL key (I wasn't).  So I couldn't type in a shell window
> (konsole), couldn't type a url in konqueror, couldn't click on the
> start button (the K icon on the kicker panel) to start any
> applications in the menu, I couldn't start an app via ALT-F2 because I
> couldn't type anything in the window, etc.  Every keypress was as if I
> was holding down the CTRL key during the other keypresses (pressing j
> would result in a newline in shell/konsole, pressing the tab button
> would change desktops as if it was a CTRL tab press, rotating the
> mouse wheel would change font sizing instead of scrolling, etc.).
>
> Anyone have a solution on how to fix this without restarting X (which
> is what I had to do after saving/downloading nearly a hundred open
> tabs, which wasn't easy considering I couldn't type anything and the
> delete key was erasing entire words instead of individual
> letters/spaces)?  I tried to find a setting in kcontrol that was
> related to CTRL always being pressed/activated, or some related
> settings in keyboard areas of kcontrol or locality settings, or
> shortcuts, etc.  I couldn't find any solution.
>
> Any help on this would be really appreciated in case it happens again.
>  Especially if it is related to akregator seg-faulting, as I finally
> joined the crowd and found how useful an rss reader is.  I'd like to
> continue using it, especially this particular one as it integrates
> with kde and uses libraries (and memory) already in use by other kde
> apps.
>
> tia for any help,
>
> Di.

Enable the Show Keyboard Status applet to ensure that you do not have
Sticky Keys enabled, or that for some other reason Ctrl is being held.
Note that pressing a modifier key 5 times in quick succession
activates Sticky Keys.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com