Re: Unappending boot options in Lilo?

On 11/12/08 12:28, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:
---- Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 08:40:51AM -0500, ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:
Hi,

Last night, I (foolishly) added a couple of items (hda=noprobe hdb=noprobe) to the "append" line of lilo.conf without testing them first, and now the boot process panics with:

Cannot open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

So, is there any way, at the boot prompt, to tell Lilo not to append any options? (No help from Google; my Google Fu must be weak this morning.)
Run lilo again after rebooting :)

Grrrr.

You can boot your system by rescue CDs. Grub CD is one good one.

On my (work-only) Windows machine, Roxio fails to burn a standard Debian LiveCD ISO to a CD-R disk using a DVD/CD-R/W drive. Most frustrating.

I guess you found one reason to migrate to grub ;-)

Probably.

An Ubuntu LiveCD, chroot and Google allowed me solved my problem, while still using the devil I know.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!