Re: What is the point of RAID?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

RAID is "old school"/"old guard", but it works very well. I'm not a big believer in ZFS, because I believe a separation between the filesystem and block-device management makes the whole system for flexible and useful.

This is a good point. I guess, like everything else, "it depends". Application, user, etc., etc. I need something fairly foolproof and also, fairly turnkey. A well-thought-out and implemented RAID would work for me if the performance were adequate and an operator need do nothing on a red light but push a button, swap the drive, push the button again. Alas, it seems it is always either too expensive or more complicated than that (or both).

MArk Allums