Re: Software For Book Writing

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 07:57:15AM +0100, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:40:20PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> Surprisingly, from a very limited test on beige G3 mac machines (the
> above tests were instead on a pentium mmx 200 machine), I expect that
> lenny should NON be slower than etch or sarge (for console only use and
> with the tunings above), provided that the ram (and disk space) is
> sufficient.

There also seems to be a problem with the ideal of "provided that the
ram is sufficient".  A direct comparison would be with identical ram.  I
don't know how much ram Lenny's installer will need.  Etch's needed more
than 32 MB but 64 MB was barely adequate.  I just installed Etch on a
box with 96 MB, base install only, then ran top in one VT with aptitude
in another.  I noticed during package install that dpkg hits swap.

At some point I'll put OpenBSD 4.4 on that box and see what happens with
pkg_add.

Doug.