[testing] sane states "scan aborted" but no output

Moin!

Sane won't scan for me. As dumb as it sounds. This is the output of scanimage:
(with no other parameters to prevent it from hanging because of that)

marcel@d-wwow:~$ scanimage -vv
scanimage: scanning image of size 202x150 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame
P6
# SANE data follows
202 150
255
scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 255/0
scanimage: sane_read: Operation was cancelled
Closing device
Calling sane_exit
scanimage: finished

The messages after "255" appear after appr. 30 seconds in which the scanner
has done exactly nothing noticeable.
Interestingly, I can turn on and off the scanner lamp in xsane.

Maybe this is part of the problem: When I exit xsane which is running as user,
it complains "Failed to create file: permission denied." twice.

When running xsane as root the error does not appear, but it does not scan
either.

Debian testing, full-upgrade'd daily
sane: 1.0.14-7
sane-utils: 1.0.19-21