Re: usb discovery fails on initial boot

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 16:39:02 +0000, Russell Gadd wrote:
>  I have a bootup problem with a USB stick
>
> I have a USB stick which is permanently plugged in (for backup purposes).
> When the PC first boots the stick is never discovered, but if I wait a few
> minutes and reboot, it generally gets discovered and mounted with an icon on
> the desktop. I'm using Etch. I'd either like to find a fix for this so that
> the bootup process finds the stick on first boot, or failing that, to run
> some program to recognise the stick without having to reboot.
>
> In the hope that this might help I've tried to pull out relevant lines from
> syslog (grepping "usb", "ehci", "uhci") which are as follows on first boot
> when the stick fails to be discovered:

[...]

> Nov  8 14:22:07 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
> Nov  8 14:22:07 localhost kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
> Nov  8 14:22:07 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: device not accepting address 2, error -71
> Nov  8 14:22:07 localhost kernel: usb 5-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
> Nov  8 14:22:07 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
> Nov  8 14:22:07 localhost kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
> Nov  8 14:22:07 localhost kernel: usb 5-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2

That does not look too bad; there is a problem with one device and the
ehci_hcd driver, but that seems to be solved by switching to uhci_hcd.

The first thing we need to know is if the device node(s) for the USB
stick are created reliably. When you have a "first boot" and the icon
does not show up, please run

ls -l /dev/disk/by-path/ | grep usb

and post the output here (or let us know if there is no output).

          Florian   |