Gnome file type association

Hi,

I can't set file associations for my Gnome any more. Here is how I did:

. Open the ("Nautilus") file browser.
. Left click on a file to change the association.
. Select "Open With" then select "Other Application".
. Select the program to open the file.

It works, but the problem is that the file type association is not
remembered. The "Open With" & "Open With Other" is still empty.
When double click on any file of that type, I still get can't open file
error.

Also, there is no such checkbox that says "Remember application
association for this type of file" any more.

I also tried the method illustrated in

How to change File type associations in Gnome
http://linuxtuts.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-change-file-type-
associations-in.html

I.e., left click on a file -> properties -> "open with" tab.

The problem for me is that, Having select the application, the "open with"
tab is still empty.

Moreover, the file type info in the "open with" tab is wrong. What I tried
to associate is Word.doc files. Mine shown

 and others of type "Unknown"

as opposed to some meaningful file type, e.g., highlighted in
http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2006/09/03/ubuntu-linux-file-associations/

I checked, the MIME type setting is OK in my system:

 $ gnomevfs-info test.doc | grep type
 MIME type         : application/msword

but the file type is not, as explained above.

Further, how come the "open with" list in my Gnome is rather pity,
only 6 or 7 entries, not reflecting the applications available in
my system and Gnome menus at all.

So, in brief, my questions are:

- how to config Gnome to know a file type.
- how to association the file type with applications in Gnome.
- how to have Gnome provide all the applications in the "open with"
selection.

Thank

PS. the reason for all these mess -- I installed CodeWeavers
CrossOver Linux Professional ver 7.1.0 downloaded from Lame Duck's
Free Download Day (goolge "CrossOver Pro 7.1.0 Linux Lame Duck Free
Download Day"), and all my previous file associations are gone,
because,

The new CrossOver requires each user on the system to install and
run the Windows software of his or her choosing. The File
associations from CrossOver configuration is not available in
Nautilus. I suspect that the reason might be that "system mime
definitions take precedence over user settings"
http://74.125.95.104/linux?q=cache:S0HRSSXH8nsJ:www.ale.org/pipermail/
ale/2007-September/042453.html&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4

Please help.
Thank

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)