Re: OT about Asus, was Re: What is the point of RAID?

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 05:39:43PM -0600, Mark Allums wrote:
Asus is fantastic! for a consumer-level board, especially their enthusiast line.

However, do not buy Asus for production work. For workstations, servers, and non-consumer-grade desktops, Asus is subpar, as are many other popular brands. The goal is not "high availability".

What brand board would you use for a reliable box?

You would not agree with that statement. I wonder what the criteria are for "production work". My EPOX-8VTAI?

Hugo

The criteria depend on the production.

My own estimates for lifetimes (if it were up to me):

Secretary:                    5-6 years
College Student:              4 years
Engineering Workstation:      18 months
Mail Server, before spam:     10-15 years
Mail Server, Post Spam:       2 years
Web Server, dialup:           6 years
Web Server, before video:     5 years
Web Server, after video:      18 months
DB server, before Oracle:     25 years (mainframe, with upgrades)
DB, post-Oracle, before-Google:  5 years
DB, post-Google:              1.5-3 years
Final Rendering:              3-9 months (one animated feature film)
(I'm prepared to be wrong on  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)
(Key word is "Final")
Space shuttle:                35-40 years
Space Station:                5-6 years
Air traffic controller:       50 years
Network router:               1 year (now)
Consumer wireless router:     1 year (sad but true)
Nuclear power plant:          Variable
Consumer PC:                  4.5-6 years
Prosumer PC:                  3 years
Enthusiast PC:                18 months
Diehard Crazy person PC:      9 months or less
Supercomputer:                Surprisingly long
Chess-playing Supercomputer:  Surprisingly short
Debian User PC:               Infinity

Substitute your own numbers.  Add more categories.  Enjoy.

Mark Allums