Re: device mapper help

On Friday 07 November 2008, William Thompson <wt@electro-mechanical.com>
wrote about 'Re: device mapper help':
>On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:44:00PM +0800, hhding.gnu wrote:
>> William Thompson wrote:
>> > I'm not on the list.  Please always keep me in the CC.
>> >
>> > Is there a tool somewhere that will allow me to merge a snapshot into
>> > the parent device?
>>
>> As far as I know, LVM does not provide this function. ZFS can promote
>> it's snapshoot.
>
>I'm not using LVM for this functionality.  I want this on the block
> level, not the fs level.

What are you using to take snapshots, then?  Also, LVM doesn't know
anything about filesystems -- it does everything "on the block level".

Also, you certainly don't want to update a block device's data while
there's a mounted filesystem on top of it, so the filesystem (and any
other layers between in device and the fs) are definitely of concern.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))