Re: Software For Book Writing

On 06 Nov 2008, TW wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I'm going to be writing a political book soon and I'm not
> sure what software to use to write it.
>
> 	I want to use something like Vim to write it, but, I want
> to be able to convert it to OpenOffice/MicrosoftWord, etc. format(s).
> The reason that I want to use something like Vim is because I'd be
> able to make a more censored version of the book on the fly for
> certain people to download (underagers, for instance).  I thought
> that latex would be what I needed, but I'm not sure.  I thought
> DocBook, but isn't that for documentation?  I need something that
> goes the whole nine yards, The Little Brown Handbook style (footnotes,
> etc.).  Thanks for the help.
>
> 	By the way, you guys get first dibs on the book (it'll be
> free, free as in "free beer").  I'm planning on writing a section
> on free software.
>
> --

I've published 3 books now and am working on a fourth, using POD via
Lulu. I use vim for all my writing. Once the text is in order I then
process it via LyX, which is a frontend to Latex. Have a look at this;
it is described as a text processor (not a word processor) and produces
publishable files. It is supposed to use kerning to make the spacing
look better. Footnotes are particularly easy to do. There is an active