Re: Software For Book Writing

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 06:04:03PM -0700, TW wrote:
I'm going to be writing a political book soon and I'm not sure what software to use to write it.

I want to use something like Vim to write it, but, I want to be able to convert it to OpenOffice/MicrosoftWord, etc. format(s). The reason that I want to use something like Vim is because I'd be able to make a more censored version of the book on the fly for certain people to download (underagers, for instance). I thought that latex would be what I needed, but I'm not sure. I thought DocBook, but isn't that for documentation? I need something that goes the whole nine yards, The Little Brown Handbook style (footnotes, etc.). Thanks for the help.

There seems to be a module that converts LaTex into just about anything,

Can it convert from latex to odt format? I have spent quite a bit of time unsuccessfully searching for something that would do it without causing a lot of grief. Please point me to it. It would be a life saver in those cases where people insist on receiving documents in .doc format. Last time, I ended up making the document in OpenOffice and exporting it as word. It was a pain (the writing part, not the export).

so I'd go with LaTex.  I've never used or had need of outputting to
Microsoft Word.  If you need to distribute read-only to people, just
make them pdf's from the LaTex.  Or HTML.  (either will do hypertext
links from the TOC and note markers).  Being a plain-text format, you
should be able to make different versions (sensored you say) for people.
Doug.

                                       -- Albert Einstein